Monday, September 3, 2018

Looking for Autumn


I went to Uji in search of Autumn.  I knew her number wasn't for another couple of weeks.  Still, I thought I might find her backstage preparing, warming up for the start of her show.

I walked along the river for a long time.  The water was green and cool.  But I could see only the white burn of the Summer sun across its surface.

I crossed the Amagase Bridge, wood and cable bound together in an unlikely friendship.  Autumn wasn't on the bridge.

I cut into the forest, a narrow path, muddy from a rain long forgotten.  I thought for sure I'd find her here, maybe with a large block of ice and a fan rehearsing an October breeze.  It was warm and moist in there like a kiss with the tongue after a cup of tea.  The forest was throbbing with the heat.  Autumn is a classy dame; she wouldn't stand for this vulgarity.

I left the forest and wandered back to town and the train slightly embarrassed by my foolish endeavour.  Autumn wasn't even in the theatre, let alone on stage.  An overeager fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment